Check out the San José Climate Action Event! This event is coming to Oakland! Learn more and register for the event below.
California Climate Action Corps - Community Climate Action Day is coming to Oakland!
December 10th, Liberation Park, Oakland CA
California Climate Action Corps - Community Climate Action Day is coming to Oakland! Join us at Liberation Park at 8:30 a.m. for this volunteer event and celebration to take climate action, and connect with others passionate about the environment and local organizations doing important climate action work. Hosted in collaboration with California Volunteers, Office of the Governor, HandsOn Bay Area, the City of Oakland, Mayor Libby Schaff, and Oakland community partners, hundreds of volunteers will support projects throughout the city focused on urban greening, wildfire resiliency, and organic waste and edible food recovery, and wildfire resiliency!
Event, at a glance
- 8:30 a.m.: Check-in at the kickoff location, light refreshments, and t-shirts
- 9:00 a.m.: Kick-off program
- 10:00 a.m.: Service projects at partnering locations
- 12:30 p.m.: Celebration, free lunch, and music at kickoff location
** Please note: some volunteer projects require travel to a second location (partner sites). **
learn more about our partners and projects
MLK Shoreline Memorial Grove
- Join us to help the Martin Luther King Jr Memorial Grove look its best! The Grove is in need of some weeding, mulching, and general maintenance.
City of Oakland NEST Project: Arroyo Viejo Neighborhood Canvassing
- The City of Oakland is prioritizing service delivery and programming access in the Arroyo Viejo Park neighborhood as a part of a N.E.S.T project (Neighborhood Enhanced Service Team). Volunteers will be engaging those who reside 3-4 blocks around the park in order to invite them to a shared community meal at the rec center and connect with them over climate change issues.
- Volunteers will help us weed, mulch, and organize our potted plants. Work will be carried out in a peaceful, outdoor environment.
The Brookfield Green Way
- Volunteers will plant trees and bushes, providing general maintenance, and lead a community cleanup within the Brookfield Greenway. The BF Greenway is located at Brookfield Elementary and serves as a buffer to the ongoing pollution that comes from 880 freeway.
Oakland Arbor Day Tree Planting
- Celebrate volunteering and Arbor Day all in one! Come help to plant 30 new trees at Columbian Gardens Park in East Oakland.
Tree Planting Bancroft Median, Oakland
- Plant large, long lived Oak Trees on Bancroft Ave Median to enhance air, water, health and beauty
What is the California Climate Action Corps?
In 2020, as a part of California’s comprehensive strategy to address the climate crisis, California Volunteers, Office of the Governor, created the country’s first state-level climate service corps. The service corps was established to empower all Californians to take meaningful action to safeguard the climate.
California Climate Action Corps is guided by three core principles:
- Directly address and seek to mitigate climate change or otherwise contribute to climate resilience and recovery.
- Foster more equitable outcomes for the state’s disadvantaged communities.
- Create new opportunities for service and pathways into professional development.
About our Oakland Partners
During this event, you and an amazing crew of volunteers will support a climate action service project with a local, Oakland organization. Learn more about the partners and projects here!
This event is sponsored by: